Catherine Elizabeth “Kate” Middleton is the wife of Prince William Duke of Cambridge. Since marrying Prince William, Kate Middleton has become one of the most popular members of the royal family and one of the most recognised. The Duchess of Cambridge is pictured here attending day 2 of Royal Ascot at Royal Ascot Racecourse. The Duchess is dressed in a beautiful Dolce and Gabbana lace dress perfectly matched with a Jane Taylor woven gold fascinator and a pair of drop pearl earrings.
…and, for some inexplicable reason, a name tag.
Our very own Spring Carnival has started and Melbourne Cup Day will soon be upon us. The perfect opportunity to dress up and drink champagne on a Tuesday afternoon. To help make your Melbourne Cup Day an unbridled success, here are a few of my very own hot tips.
1. Wear something that tells people you’re going to a Melbourne Cup Day Function. Wear a hat or fascinator or even carry a form guide. You don’t want people to think you’re overdressed and drinking champagne on some random Tuesday afternoon for no reason.
2. Having a flutter can be a lot of fun but bear in mind that even if the jockey is wearing your favourite colours, the number of the horse is the same as your birthday and reminds you of your older sister, it probably won’t win. Don’t bet the farm on The Melbourne Cup.
3. Don’t wear black. You’re not going to a funeral and you don’t live in New Zealand. It’s Springtime and it’s a happy day so wear something colourful.
4. Don’t wear sequins to the Melbourne Cup. Unless, of course, your Melbourne Cup function happens to be in Toowoomba in 1986. In which case, too many sequins won’t be enough.
5. Consider your footwear carefully especially if you’re going to be outside among horses. There is nothing worse than standing in something green and sloppy.
6. If by chance you do find yourself chatting to Kate Middleton on Melbourne Cup Day and halfway through the conversation you forget who you’re talking to and need to look at her name tag to remind yourself who she is then you’ve obviously had one too many champagnes. You need to take yourself home. Your Melbourne Cup Day is over.